View Single Post
Old 11th July 2009, 06:56 AM   #22
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
I stand corrected! Thanks Miguel for clearing that up!
OT: Dimasalang, in your past visits to the Phils., have you had the chance to visit Museo ng Rebolusyon [Museum of the Revolution] in Pinaglabanan? Haven't been there but I'm planning to, so I can post pics here later ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
... IF WHAT WE SEE IS A RESULT OF THE AMERICANS CLEANING UP THE AREA I DON'T THINK THEY DID A PROPER OR RESPECTFUL JOB OF IT UNLESS THEY DID IT TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO THE MORO IN THE AREA
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD WAR BUT UNFORTUNATELY UNTIL MAN CHANGES A LOT IT WILL ALWAYS BE AROUND. ...
Thanks Vandoo for the comments.

On the politics of warfare (and still referring to Fulton's chapters on Bud Dajo), we find this [April 1906] conversation between General Leonard Wood and the Sulu headmen:
"... the Sultan observed, 'There are very few people in Jolo [Sulu], and if a fight like that [i.e., Bud Dajo] occurs many times there will be no more people left in Jolo.' The Sultan then begged Wood to, in the future, let the Jolo leadership rather than American soldiers mount any such operations against the insurgents. Wood ridiculed the idea and badgered the Sultan to admit that if they had tried to take Bud Dajo, 'it would have finished all the Moros in the attacking party ... there would only monkeys be left to live in Jolo ... A great many of our people believe that all men are descended from monkeys, and they might eventually have produced another race here.' But the Sultan turned the tables, responding, 'It is more likely that human beings become monkeys, than monkeys turn into human beings.' "
Warfare is a messy business indeed.

I'll post next pics of olden Filipino headhunters displaying their skull trophies.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote