View Single Post
Old 27th March 2014, 10:20 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

That hilt strongly reminds me of the Sierra Leone swords I mentioned, which of course would not have been confined to that region but as always collectors have to put some kind of label on it. It is known that European type sabres have been in use throughout West Africa into modern times, so seeing these type of chape sleeves is not surprising .

What you are saying is systematically correct, fashioning a grip or hilt that is serviceable is a simple affair, so a rounded handle would serve well. It is of course understandable that a weapon being at least somewhat a status item one would not want just a crude lump of wood, so design and decoration would be employed accordingly .

I tend to dislike the cavalier description of 'tourist' item for ethnographic weapons at large as in many, possibly even most cases, these weapons are used in at least some degree as traditional accoutrements among tribal peoples. I think these somewhat crudely fashioned items fall into that traditional category, while the touristy items are obviously too fragile and focused on bling for combat or actual use. In many of these regions, edged weapons (often collectively termed machetes by journalists) are indeed still used.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote