View Single Post
Old 29th July 2018, 09:25 PM   #14
Paddy T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus den toom

My parents returned from there holiday and they also visited some German castles, among them Veste Lundinghausen. They have a haquebut, excavated from nearby, with a reproduction stock on it. The whole thing resembles the Maximilian style a bit, but it is not one of them. The touch hole is to close to the breech to be a Maximilian type among other things.... also it is octagonal, the pan is to big and the barrel mouth is to massive.

The last picture is the description of this haquebut by the castle. 1440 seems far from the truth, without looking at the thread Michl has provided us i would say at least 50 to 60 years later based on the pan (the most recent feature). The barrel might have been reworked during its life. The hook seems older to me..
I know this haquebut, in fact it´s stored in the Museum Burg Vischering in the city of Lüdinghausen, Germany. The dating made by the museum (ca. 1440-1460) is wrong, of course. There are different stylistic criteria (unfortunatelly most of them not visible on the photos) to date this weapon to "ca. 1500". The stock is a reproduction, unfortunatelly there is no information about the finding location or the finding circumstances of this weapon.
Paddy T. is offline   Reply With Quote