View Single Post
Old 16th July 2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
but the rattan wrap is horizontal-to keep both halves of the crosspiece together.
Yep that is correct. But the rope that is attached at the crosspiece is also knotted at the ratan. When looking at the patina these ratan wrap had also been at the tip of the scabbard, but it is lost. That is something I will replace in future to make it a more firm scabbard instead of two loose pieces...

Quote:
I think I see two smaller holes on the first, second and last picture, that ones on the meeting point of the cross piece and the bottom of the taguban. If that is right, it might be similar way with the technique found in older Javanese scabbard/I also found it once on Bugis sheath. They inserted two wooden pin each sides to join the crosspiece with the vertical part. This way it is very pronounce to movement along with wear/time and no wonder it cracked (mostly I've seen using this technique are already movable, crack or broken).
Yes I noticed those holes also. It could be as you said, but it also could be that this was a first (failed) try to attach the crosspiece to the vertically part of the scabbard, because it was broken at the other side (where the biggest part is missing).....Maybe somebody on the forum can tell us if the moro's used these kind of pegs to attach the crosspiece to the second wooden part...

Quote:
In case you decided to change the crosspiece, I think the (good quality) material is still obtainable in Malaysia ask for kayu kemuning (orange jasmine?) as the local name. Or maybe replacing (patching) the missing piece is another option. On the first choice, you can always keep the original crosspiece. But keeping it as it is now would be as good.
Thank you for your information, but changing the crosspiece is no option to me..I think also patching is not what i am going to do. Maybe I use some ratan to hide it or some moro fabric, cause I like the restoration and the old patina which I don't want to interfere with....Than it can always be taken away to see how it came along.. (yes I know, I am a weird collector when it comes to restorations)

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote