View Single Post
Old 17th August 2005, 12:29 AM   #17
KrisKross

Got it, Spunjer

Fearn, your arguments make sense. Although I wasn't so much concerned with what type of weapon one used in the "off hand." I personally prefer the dagger. Double short swords would split the difference, I guess. I've seen good work done with a double barong, for instance.

Power is less of a problem with plate armor, since you won't get through it with a strong arm swing anyway, really (although you can pierce it with bracing and leverage, as with a heavy lance). I mean, what are the chances you'd simply run a man through with a sword while they were wearing a full plate curass? It was mainly a problem of bashing the knight into unconsciousness so you could finish him, I hear.

Chain and leather can be pierced with a dagger, though, and I can see the importance of the dagger in my own art. A one-handed swing from a short sword might hurt but not really pierce much armor, but it can set up a killing blow with a dagger. Sneaking a blade into an armpit isn't really that hard, in my experience.
KrisKross is offline   Reply With Quote