View Single Post
Old 20th June 2017, 01:53 PM   #20
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
You won't be able to find Arsenic anywhere in Europe or US since it is labeled as poison.
Well, i can say that is not exactly true. You cannot buy arsenic trioxide directly without a government certificate, if you can find a local company that is able to purchase and can show them what you are using it for you may get lucky and make a deal with them if they are willing. I know from personal experience that such a scenario is indeed possible, though it is not likely.
However, you can, AFAIK, purchase the mineral Realgar in the USA, which is an arsenic sulfide. If you search this site you will find further discussion on it. While i would say that lab quality arsenic trioxide is a better, more consistent product, many people use Realgar to stain keris due to it's availability. Buying the mineral whole means grinding it up yourself, which is a mess i don't recommend, but i have seen pure powdered Realgar for sale regularly on eBay, so if you would like to try it give it a google and it should turn up.
While i have seen a few examples of passable staining done with non-warangan concoctions i don't believe any of them will give pamor the "correct" look as will arsenic and lime.
If i were unable to stain my own blades when needed i would probably send them out to be done to Indonesia. As you point out the sum for the work is generally very reasonable. The postage would be more expensive than the treatment and of course there is the time waiting...
David is offline   Reply With Quote