Thread: My first flyssa
View Single Post
Old 26th January 2007, 11:53 PM   #9
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
i see my flyssa in one of the references, here's a slightly better picture along with a curved variant, others of which were also mentioned in the ref. both are large dagger length rather than swords. i hope to eventually get a sword length one to complete the set. i like the one you posted above, looks a neat simple battle blade.
Now this is interesting. I have seen a number of the curved version for sale on ebay, sometimes called flyssa, other times called nimcha. Up until now I thought the flyssa reference was in error because there was so much departure in style from the earleir flyssa form; the hilt was significantly different, being inlaid wood with actual quillions, and the blade so sharply curved. But here we have a hilt sheathed in engraved brass that is only slightly different from the traditional flyssa, and a scabbard whose carving is also reminiscent of the earlier form. It seems fairly obvious that the curved flyssa is a more recent evolution of the flyssa, one that appeared after the sword form fell out of favor.

Fenris
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote