View Single Post
Old 14th April 2017, 08:17 PM   #4
rickystl

Collectors have referred to the one on the left as being originally of Persian origin. And I'm inclined to agree with that. Even Artzi uses the Persian origin for these flasks. He recently had one for sale with a domestic cat painted on the side of the flask. Which I think is further evidence.
The other two (with the scrotum look) I see generically termed Arab. Why, I don't know. You do see this style on Afghan belt arrangements. You see so many of this style for sale today, I wonder if they are still being made today for the tourist trade?
From a shooter's perspective, both style of flasks are light weight, medium in size, and if in decent condition are perfectly usable today. The Arab style is more handy to pour the powder in a measure due to it's tapered neck and smaller opening. But back in the period they probably just poured an approximate amount of powder directly into the barrel of the gun (dangerous!!). The Persian style is a bit more cumbersom to use due to it's larger opening. I sometimes wondered if these flasks were used to carry water instead of powder due to the large opening. But its really too small for carrying water. And the Moroccan powder horns also have large openings. Which would make it easier to re-fill with powder. One theory I have with the larger openings is that an approximate amount of powder was poured into the palm of the hand, then dropped into the barrel. The larger opening would make this faster. But just a theory.
Anyway, nice looking flasks Stu.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote