View Single Post
Old 19th July 2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! breathtaking barrage of response here in less than an hour!!! I likes that
In looking at this I began to suspect this might be Dutch, probably much in line with the notes by Kisak reflecting those characteristics.

The 'spadroon' blade was becoming popular around 1780s while by 1790s the traditional smallsword was waning, despite military traditions carrying the theme forward with its officers. The British introduced the hilt styles familar on the spadroon models of c.1780, and there are silver hilt types with similar fluting on tall pommels and the four slot guard with fouled anchor from 1780s (one has hallmark of 1787). Perhaps the naval association might comply with the compelling comparison shown in the Morris sword. The style of decoration in hilt is very similar.

It is interesting that the smallsword style hilt was used in the British M1796 infantry officers dress sword which was used until 1822. These did not follow the true smallsword hilt however in that they did not have the pas d'ane rings. It does seem that the officers truly disdained this sword as was described in accounts of Peninsular campaigns. It does seem that the blades were single edged like this and indeed were imported by Runkel, but most of these blades were so marked.

The magic/talismanic motif is indeed Solingen oriented, and as mentioned often seen on officers blades brought into England by J J Runkel in the late 18th c. into 19th. He was actually an importer working as an agent in London for Solingen if I am not mistaken.
The squiggle on the spine is indeed a Solingen mark and seems to have been discussed by Glen some time ago. I am inclined to agree with him that it is either some sort of trademark or signature symbolic pertaining to either guild or contractual circumstances.

Glen, I have Wagner and will check further. I am also looking through Dean and Aylward.

Norman, you are truly a discerning collector, and the items you come up with certainly tantalize the researcher in all of us! Fantastic teamwork here everybody, and definitely fun to see results like this.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote