View Single Post
Old 1st June 2006, 07:15 PM   #10
IainN

Let me just sum up the actual regulations for exporting antiques for China as is my understanding of the situation.

An antique is defined by the Chinese government as made before 1949. Anything dated before 1795 is illegal for export. Period. To export something dated between 1795-1949 requires two things. A Certificate for Relics Export from the Beijing Cultural Relics Bureau, and a red wax seal will be fixed to the item. Usually government stores are set up to provide the paperwork etc... Items without the proper seal and paperwork will be seized by Chinese customs.

I have seen a few Chinese ebayers with purported photos of an export license in their listings which is claimed to allow them to export antiques and is used to try and create a sense of authenticity. This means NOTHING, what you need is that wax seal and the export papers specific to the item.

I suppose it is possible for something genuine to come from a private Chinese seller and clear customs by shear luck, but who wants to take the chance.
IainN is offline   Reply With Quote