Thread: Wierd pliers ?
View Single Post
Old 1st November 2014, 06:20 AM   #17
Shakethetrees

[/QUOTE]
Incidentally, I've burnt myself a lot of times when working, and something that has always amazed me is that these burns never, ever hurt at the time. They might smart a bit the following day, especially when bathing, but at the time, never. I do not have especially high tolerance of pain.[/QUOTE]

You're right!

The degree of concentration and rush to get iron to anvil causes everything else to temporarily go away!

When I was in school many years ago, I was in a frenzied state, rushing to make a deadline. Right next to me in the next soldering station a friend, Tom, was annealling a small, roughly one inch, by half inch ingot of gold. Each of us lost in our own worlds and without words expressing our intentions, I pivoted left, dropping a red hot bit of work into a quenching bath while Tom turned to the right, gold in tongs, intending for it to join my work in the tank. Instead, the ingot caught my upper forearm squarely, impressing a one inch by a half inch burn!

Toms immediate reaction- "That's OK, it's gold."

Without either of us missing a beat, we went right back to work.

The next day it was not as funny! I still carry a slight mark reminding me of the incident.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote