View Single Post
Old 10th September 2006, 03:09 PM   #9
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjulius
im looking for others on the net,, things like intelectual property are not respected in russia ,
i have this and several other books , but to scan them all and make them into pdf images woudl be tomuch work .......
Like many other things in Russia "respect" is unidirectional: foreighners should respect all things Russian, but the reverse doesn't always work.
I have a friend in Moscow; both he and his son are lawyers for two large American firms specializing in intellectual property: they are pretty busy protecting Coca Cola and such from Russian knock-offs.
But a small Publishing House, like Atlant, is unlikely to afford much self-defence. I ordered a book from them once: had to send personal check to the name of the receptionist and waited 2 months for the book. All my inquiries got standard nonchalant messages: " what's the hurry? it will come one day... " The funniest thing, it did come: well packed, with a lovely postcard, obviously mailed 2-3 days after the check was cashed.... They still have to work a bit on their "customer relations" issues
It was Gorelik's book " Arms and Armour of the Ancient East". Absolutely brilliant! (Gorelik wrote a big chapter for Elgood's anthology on Islamic weapons). Truly a benchmark of erudition, professionalism and academic excellence! Nicolle's books pale in comparison.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote