View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2012, 06:46 PM   #26
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Lofty,
This is indeed a great blade, and as Rick has wisely noted, the blade is the true treasure. Hilting and refurbishing is part of the blade's being through its working life, which in many if not most cases covered many generations.
I doubt there was a pommel cap, which of course was most associated with the true Persian shamshirs on which these collective types were based.

If the inscription is indeed Kalb Ali, it is one I have seen on blades which have been diffused via Central Asian trade routes and I have seen one of these blades with that inscription on a Khevsur sabre (from the high regions of Causasus in Georgia). I have also seen these on the typically austere Afghan versions which I believe even have neen seen with wood grips.

The 'false edge' is not as far as I have known been regarded as a true yelman, and these type edge features are I believe a Central Asian affinity. I have seen them on Turkmen and other Central Asian shamshirs. The true Persian shamshir blade is radiused to the point and as far as I have known does not have false edge. The yelman is typically an expanded point at the tip and portion of blade end which is to actually add weight to the blade to add impetus to the force of the draw cut. The term 'kilij' has I think proven to be too nebulus for accurate classification of a sword as it is as far as I know the Turkish word for sword used often collectively in various degree.

I am inclined to think of this wonderfully intriguing example as from Central Asian regions, though it would be difficult to place distinct geographic region as it has clearly traveled these fascinating trade routes. I agree with the earlier period for the blade, and this one likely has lots of stories, the best kind of all...a sabre of mystery and a beautiful example!
Nicely done Lofty! Congratulations!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote