View Single Post
Old 10th January 2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Richmond, and as always it is my absolute pleasure to have the opportunity to research these intriguing weapons and learn from them. There are often so many gaps in the perspective concerning certain dynamics of periods, regions and how they are often all connected. Typically for example, the general perspective on the Civil War here has its focus of course on the usual battles and events in the South. However, what seldom comes into much of the understanding is these kinds of factors with more international and commercial aspects.

Solingen in the 19th century was undergoing many of the same commercial strains as may be expected with the burgeoning advance of the industrial revolution, and amalgamation of firms struggling to remain competitive and productivity maximiized. Many of these firms were families in business for many generations, so the familiar surnames must be evaluated by the initials reflecting what period suggested by which members are indicated.

It is interesting that these sabres, actually termed 'kota' colloquially by a Fulani tribesman from Guinea I talked with once (probably a general 'sword' term), are almost invariably mounted with cavalry sabre blades. These are usually presumed French with their colonial presence in these regions of the Sudan/Sahel but German made blades often were used in military swords of France and various other countries in these times. As Iain has pointed out, the term 'Manding' is actually more of a linguistic classification which may reference various tribal groups in these Sahelian regions.

I havent actuually heard of the booklet you mention, but it sounds like an important resource much as many of these 'small but mighty' references are
I think the most fascinating thing about the Civil War is not the seemingly neverending hashed over lore and histories, but these unusual aspects which lean toward more of the esoteric material.

Thank you very much again for posting this, and your kind and detailed response.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote