Thread: A Chinese dau
View Single Post
Old 14th August 2015, 04:31 AM   #9
Shakethetrees

As I understand, dao translates to blade or edged weapon as a concept or idea. Daosi is a diminutive that translates to knife. Dadao, on the other hand, means large blade. All Dadao I have seen, both here and in China, were flat or had one or two shallow and narrow fillers running maybe 2/3 of the blade length. The point was of a "clipped" configuration with an expansion where the back meets the clip. Some, but not all, had a hole at this place for a streamer ring.

Guards were, as stated before, either disc/cupped, "S" or "C" shaped with a small scroll or rat tail at each end. During the 1920's to WWII era (loosely interpreted here) there were some with flat "C" shaped guards of cast brass and two narrow shallow fullers as I described. This brass guard terminated in a closed ring cast integrally with the guard. The example I have now (I need to find it!) has a macrame like woven string grip and ring cover that was lacquered. I've seen others with cloth and one with spiral leather wrapping.

There are two similar sized swords, but the names are euphemistic, one being ox tongue sword and I forget the other right now. The blades could be thick or thin, but did not follow the same lines as the Dadao.

I will go on a hunt to flesh out what I have written here, maybe get some pictures and more specific names. I need to find my notes!
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote