View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Thanks Carlos! The one you have is a good example.

Ibrahim, reason why I think the badawi saif is Palastinian is the scabbard. But the hilt style is Saudi with minor variations in the silver strap and pommel cap.

Salaams A.alnakkas ~ Point taken, however, on a broader note I think more explanation may be needed to/for the general reader on what is meant by bedawi and who the bedouin groups were etc... I have a map of Bedouin groups and will post in a day or two...

I think the diffusion of swords follows several trade routes by land and sea, pilgrimage routes and lastly bedouin movement... I tend to further subdevide Buttins vast grouping of Zanzibari Nimchas by splitting off several other named groups ie The Yemeni Nimcha, The Palestinian Nimcha and The Bedawi Nimcha. I think the Hawkshead better known as the Karabela, though not mentioned yet in thread, is simply another Nimcha.

The Red Sea was a peculiar place; The prevailing north wind was a big problem for shipping under sail. Before steam (and I think prior to the discovery of the lanteen sail) most goods moving north were dropped at ports near the mouth of the Red Sea and vast camel trains did the rest. Movement of goods North and South was common place.

In 1869 everything changed with the opening of the Suez Canal as the volume of goods reached industrial proportions..both ways.

On the Palestinian sword am I right in assuming that it derived from the Zanzibar hub via Yemen and Arabia then rehilted in perhaps Jerusalem? Or do you think these swords came in from the Mediterranean more direct or perhaps off the Cairo hub?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 3rd July 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote