View Single Post
Old 1st July 2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Lofty,
Interesting example which appears to be a sabre of the form which seems commonly held to be used by Bedouin tribes from the Negev into the Sinai Peninsula. As often discussed through the years the 'nimcha' term has been widely misapplied, and typically used by collectors for the Moroccan sabre with distinct guard configuration. From a semantics point of view of course, and as you know, it is easier to use the term in this parlance, I just mentioned it for the benefit of our wide range of non-participating readers, who scan our pages to learn more. As always I look forward to their joining us eventually. I am inclined to favor the descriptive term Bedouin sa'if.

The blade is as you note European and very well could be latter 18th, but probably 19th century, as these heavy sabre blades which entered these spheres via Red Sea trade in the 19th century were reused for often countless generations. The mounts are of course much more recent as evidenced by the screws etc.

The cursive script ligature, or more likely acrostic, is European and used often in acrostic sense to abbreviate a phrase or slogan, even perhaps an acronym for a particular group. I cannot see the letters properly but there seem to be four, so would not be initials.

These swords have a certain rugged charm to them as they reflect the fascinating character of the Bedouin tribes, who often anachronistically used these weapons well into the 20th century. This blade could very well have seen service in the WWI campaigns in these regions, as well as the long history of internecine warfare .
While many collectors might scoff at these rugged old warriors, you are astutely aware the colorful history they hold. Nicely done !

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 1st July 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote