View Single Post
Old 30th November 2017, 07:50 PM   #25
shayde78

The title of this thread is misleading, and I apologize for that. Per my first post, my intent was to ask about using two arms in the same hand (i.e., katar/bichwa or dhal/bichwa).

While I appreciate the spirited debate, I think a couple things are not being fully considered.
- Studying various forms of martial arts, it seems the purists are the one's engaging in fantasy. As an admittedly extreme example, if a modern sport fencer were to find her/himself in actual combat, they would likely not fare so well. The arms we all study on this site were used by both well-trained experts, and lay-people just trying to defend their lives. If there was any thought that holding two knives in one hand would give an advantage, then people did it.
I think the original point about looking at combined arms for hints at what weapons people were trying to wield simultaneously is a sound approach. We do have examples of combined arms that were so successful, we don't even think of them as such (the halberd is a combined pike/axe, for example).

- Secondly, the design of the bichwa specifically is being disregarded. It is intended to allow the fingers to be free to grasp any other object without impediment. Given this design, what else would be grasped. The best (perhaps only) suggestion in this thread is to allow for wrestling. that may well be. I have seen sources that claim it allowed for folks to claim walls and act like Indian ninjas. This seems unlikely.

I can have the bichwa on my hand and still use chopsticks (just as an example of the level of dexterity allowed; see image below). Use with a shield/dhal or katar should not be dismissed simply because it feels unconventional. If two weapons can be wielded effectively with one hand, I am certain folks would have done so (even if scoffed at by the professional soldiers). I hike/camp a lot, and you always see more novice people carrying WAY too much gear. It isn't practical, but they want to be sure they have everything they need. I feel the same mentality would apply.

Again, I appreciate the debate. My thoughts are offered with great respect for the expertise of this community.

As promise, the ancient art of wielding chopsticks and bichwa!
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote