View Single Post
Old 6th April 2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Marc

Well, the Portugese ones have these flat, circular quillion ends (hence the "colhoes" ), the Spanish ones tend to widen progressively. Cut-out designs there and in the pommels are not uncommon in both types. Also, the proportions guard - pas d'ane - grip - pommel are different between the Spanish and the Portugese models, as tends to be the typology of the blades.

There's also the exemplars so kindly made available in Antonio's page

Of course, there's a lot of variations and exemplars that stand in the blurry middle ground (that's the thing with the "mutual influences"...), but there's some ground for distinguishing them. But there's not THAT many surviving exemplars, that's why I jumped to the chance of getting this book. Now, if I could manage to get Daenhardt's in a better shape than the lousy photocopies I have now...

Here, pics of the ones Philip have mentioned plus a couple more. Up to down and left to right:
Fernando the Catholic King's (Granada), the so-called Fernando the Catholic King's in the Real Armerķa (Royal Armoury) in Madrid, the so-called Gran Capitan's also in the Real Armerķa in Madrid, and finally the so-called El Cid's Tizona, formerly in the Army Museum in Madrid.
Attached Images

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote