View Single Post
Old 17th November 2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.
Default Jambiya and Khanjar

Friends, these two items have undergone repeated comparison in my mind. I have read up a LOT about these knives and once more my head is spinning. So I am going to offer you the pics of the Yemeni jambiya and the Omani khanjar I have acquired, with guarded comments by me. But I eagerly await your contributions please!

I bought the jambiya at a souk in Dubai in 2012, after very long consideration of the hundreds available. It was expensive for a tourist item, but I was impressed by the scabbard quality. The blades were all of the split type, so I let myself be led by the scabbard. It is truly beautiful and very well made (to my mind at least - my compliments to the craftsman). The blade is not worth commenting on, and the hilt is horrendous. I can only assume the hilt material is a kind of translucent resin. But I really admire the scabbard and I understand that the maker of the scabbard is not the same as the knife's maker.

I got the khanjar in a trade. It seems to be an honest khanjar of not too recent make. The metal covering on the hilt I understand to be silver, and the handle itself horn. The scabbard is covered by silver embellishments. I believe the silver is pure in the region of 90%. The blade seems to be forged steel, solid, causing a dull thump when banged. (Some rust has set in, so I have got it in time to prevent further damage.) The horn hilt is not too well finished, as well as the silverwork, but it is acceptably well done, as I said, an honest, original khanjar. I hope you all agree (but I have much to learn).

I trust the two pics will come out well enough and you are able to discern enough detail.

Regards
Johan
Attached Images

Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote