Thread: Old Bali keris
View Single Post
Old 16th April 2011, 11:25 PM   #18
A. G. Maisey

Detlef, working from a photo it is almost impossible for me to determine with any degree of accuracy the age or originality of something. Sometimes I can make an educated guess, that is most often based upon what I have seen in the past, that is, experience, but I cannot carry out the detailed, objective examination necessary to support an opinion that I am prepared to back.

This wrongko has a very well carved atasan with crisp lines, no chips in a material that is quite given to chipping, and is in a wood that that I have not ever seen in a Balinese wrongko, let alone an old Balinese wrongko.

The gandar is a very common style in old Balinese keris dress, and appears to display lesser craftsmanship, or perhaps greater wear, than the atasan.

The blade is a very fine one, but I am uncertain as to its age.

It would not surprise me if this keris was put together in Bali in the not so far distant past --- say within the last 50 years --- specifically to sell into the souvenir market, rather than as an item of dress for a local.

I apologise if this opinion is not quite as you might like it to be, I daresay it will be at odds with the opinions of most others who have posted here, and as always it comes with the qualification that it could change if I held the item in my hand.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote