View Single Post
Old 27th February 2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are all outstanding examples of these swords attributed to the Mandinka (also Mandingo, Malinke) tribal groups of the Sahara, with Mali in particular.
Gav, this is one of the most beautifully accoutred examples I have seen, and it is my impression that this, along with many of these, are mounted with M1822 French cavalry sabre blades. These regions were of course long occupied by the French and by the end of the 19th century French protectorates.

In Mali, most significant is Timbuktu ( tin= well, buqtu=far away) which was for centuries actually a Saharan cultural center as well as a key hub for transSaharan trade routes. The merchants of this and other key trade locations of these trade networks were known as 'Dyoula' (Mande=merchant) and were undoubtedly of the upper social stature that might wear such embellished sabres as a mark of thier standing.

The profound presence of the French of course must have provided large numbers of surplus French cavalry blades in these centers, as well as the numbers of trade blades that prevailed via these trade routes. It has always been my personal opinion that these cylindrically themed guardless sabres probably derived from the Omani kattaras which had entered the Saharan trade sphere from the Zanzibar sultanate either via Red Sea or direct routes.
The dramatically embellished and festooned mounts no doubt emphasize the standing of the merchant or perhaps tribal figure, so although not specifically the weapon of a 'chieftain' , certainly that of a powerful individual.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote