View Single Post
Old 21st December 2021, 10:39 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmereya View Post
... for example, what comes to mind if you think a little,
if we assume that the sign is not an element of decor, but a symbol, then the interpretation with an anchor is the closest (irminsul probably cannot be considered for this period), in early Christianity this symbol meant the church, as an anchor in a troubled world, or as a last refuge, according to some sources.
an anchor in the context of such a weapon as a symbol of the firmness of faith, and a symbol of punishing justice in the hands of the elect against the condemned (according to Calvin, Cromwell, I mentioned this) and a similar meaning could be laid in a similar object by any opposing side since the 16th century and earlier.
it is quite possible that this is too far-fetched, unprofessional on my part.
I wonder what the opinions will be
Sincerely

Elmereya, I very much applaud your interest in the often subtle symbolism which may exist in the hilt elements in many well known sword forms. These kinds of symbolism do seem to exist in some cases, but there is typically a great deal of consternation toward ideas suggesting them.

Your suggestion regarding the anchor etc. is interesting, but in this case I am afraid unlikely in the context you suggest. Noting that, I would never consider such thinking far fetched or other, in fact, often this kind of thinking has led to interesting understanding of weapon forms and styling.

These scrolled ends are virtually characteristic of these types of hilts in English swords typically termed 'mortuary' for the conception that the facial figures represented Charles I who was executed in 1649. The scrolls often on the side knuckle guards, do not occur on many of the variations, and these type swords were used by both Royalist and Parliament sides in the Civil Wars.

Mazansky (2005) has an entire chapter (11) illustrating a wide scope of these hilts, which offer good view of the variations. The book however, does not speak to symbolism or such matters as its intent was to put together a typology and categorization of the basket hilt sword.

Norman ("The Rapier and Small Sword 1460-1820", 1980) offers notes on hilt styles as well, but again offers no suggestions on symbolism.

What I have discovered is that in many cases, if not most, hilt elements and structure are more inclined to aesthetic inclinations. For example, on Scottish basket hilts, many which have the large 'S' incorporated into the guards.
While many thought these indicated 'Stirling', some 'Scottish' (?) but this did not hold true as many were from Glasgow.

The element termed 'rams head' in these hilts also has no shown indications of any particular symbolism, the term simply descriptive of the shape.

The piercings often seen in the shields of these hilts have a degree of symbolism however with Jacobite symbolism.

On the c.1780s spadroon hangers in England which had a five ball grouping on guard and knuckleguard, I had thinking similar to yours and suggested a possible Masonic connection due to the numeric consistency. When I approached the author of a well known book on British swords, he regarded the notion as fanciful and this was simply aesthetic decoration. This of course remained unproven, but the idea seemed quite plausible.

With the scrolls on these British hilts , there was a propensity toward neo classic themes and styling, often having cherubic faces, acanthus leaf vegetal motif, and these scrolls resemble Ionic capitals, so perhaps this aesthetic might be toward the decor.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote