View Single Post
Old 11th July 2016, 06:57 PM   #27
cornelistromp

Generally speaking, in paintings and etchings from +- 1450 onwards (or so) there is no time difference between the displayed weapons and what was worn at the time of painting.
especially in commissioned orders from individuals, they wanted to be depicted to the latest fashion and with most modern weapons.
if I take the night watch of Rembrandt, every town guard had to pay an amount and the most wealthy guards who paid the most are clearly illustrated in the light on the foreground.with their weapons and beautiful clothes clearly in focus.
(there is one guy on the night watch, who did not want to pay the agreed amount, he is depicted behind a outstretched arm and therefore unrecognizable.)

if I see the landsknecht etchings of Hopfer, Graf, CB, Schoen, Beham, Amman and others, the swords shown, are all from the time of the etching.

when in the 16th century Romans were painted they were often depicted with 16th century weapons. I suspect that old weapons just were not known
by the artist. So he painted weapons from his time, the arms he knew.

@ Fernando the swords in the panels of São Vicente de Fora are mid 15thC, and with the finger guards, the 'pas d'ane, very progressive for the time.
the knights keep their sword visibly pride in their hand as a symbol of beauty, status, dedication and ecclesiastical power and perhaps modernity .

Compare this with how the Dutch guards of the white flag are showing their ultramodern small swords in 1648, painting by JA Rotius
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 11th July 2016 at 08:38 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote