View Single Post
Old 5th July 2016, 12:24 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
It was not unusual for blades to be hilted or rehilted in countries far from their manufacture. I sold a two handed court sword whose blade was German and whose hilt was Italian but whose wrapping was Saxon. I'll post it at some point.

A mismatch between hilt and mountings isn't troublesome to me particularly. This sword looks to me as though it had not been taken apart but that could simply be a conceit on my part. I think that it probably is likely that it has undergone 2 or more incarnations.

It reminds me of a Turag bladed English pattern hilted sword that I posted here some time ago, remember that one Jim?
The old memory aint what it used to be Ed!! but it does seem there is something like that in the cobwebs.

As you say, components could easily be assembled from widely divergent sources in the often long working lives of these swords. That is not to mention the efforts of industrious antiquarians and artisans of the 'Historismus' times and their 'creations'.
I would be inclined to think this one aside from its new grips is otherwise homogenous. The grips and turks heads, wrapped wire etc. of course seem much, much later.
I am by far no authority in this field, but from what I could find in the 'crash course' in Oakeshott, the components seem to be together from period.

Thanks Ed for sharing this!!! BTW, its great having you posting again!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote