View Single Post
Old 4th July 2016, 10:17 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This sword is pretty exciting to me, its inherent character alone of course important, but the fact it was one of Mr. Oakeshott's takes it to another level.
On the blade, from what I can find in the Oakeshott refrences, it seems that the built up or incipient ricasso was relatively rare at blade shoulders . While a degree of frequency in this type (XVIIIa) in the 15th c, by the latter part these were remarkably well known, actually few without it ('Chivalry', p.69).

With the pommel, it is termed 'scent stopper' form (T3) and Oakshott notes (p.106) these seem predominantly English (c 1400-40) with this close ribbed fluting on the fundamentally 'pear' shape. It is stated these were less usual after 1430. Here I would suggest that the pommel seems in accord with the guard as homogenous as the striated quillon terminals, fluted pommel and striations on the guard seem en suite.

An interesting note is that while these pommels in this shape and style seem to be keenly English, but that the swords overall often seems to have other Italian characteristics.

As for the notion concerning the pommel as a weight......this is of course one of the commonly held purposes described in the general dynamics of the sword. However, while that seems logical in degree, in many cases there seem to have been other functions allotted to the pommel.....its decorative and aesthetic appeal notwithstanding. In many cases, the pommel was essentially a reliquary, holding religious relics or amulet oriented items.

Pommels seem to have often been exchanged in refurbishings over years or even detached and in cases they are said to have served as weights used with scales etc. Perhaps that might have lead to emphasis on the weight or counterbalance concept.
It seems that Italian arms had a distinct influence on the English arms of the period, as their armourers were broadly pacesetters for this in these times.
With that I might suggest that perhaps the side ring on the guard could be one of these Italianate features, as this appears on many of their swords of the periods noted.

The markings to me seem to resemble either halberds or some type of polearms, and possibly looking toward the esoterica of those marking, which seem to exceed the general corpus of sword makers marks might be useful. In discussion currently in place on halberds, it is noted markings of small halberds occur on one example.
Armourers seem to have been more of a brokerage of various types of arms which often included armor and in some cases even firearms.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote