View Single Post
Old 29th March 2013, 02:03 PM   #6
A Senefelder

I did a quick google search on HA KU BO and got several references to HAKUBO meaning something like " aunt " in I believe it was Japanese. This particlaur piece was made relatively recently. While the blade itself may have been forged ( hard to tell from the pics ) the " fullers " were definitely machined in, it appears by something like a metal router ( you can see the circular marks from the bit in the close up of the end of the fullers at the forte of the blade ). The decorative motif of the hilt is done entirely with files, not that files weren't used in period but the manner of execution is intended to creat the effect of more complex methods of construction ( ie. the progressively small round file work on the quillions is meant to make them look like the were twisted while hot, giving a " braided " appearence to the steel ). This is at least loosely inspired by a katzbalger as others have mentioned. Based purely on the proprotions of the photos this looks to be pretty heavy. My guess is its made in the last hundered years.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote