View Single Post
Old 24th April 2008, 08:23 PM   #16
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
as we are transliterating a word from a non western language into a western phonetic alphabet, all of them are valid, as would other spellings with the same sound...even amongst native english speakers from differing countries, ie. USA, UK, Australia & NZ, the pronunciation of vowels, AEIOU (& sometimes Y) has drifted. i personally prefer 'badek' for my similar but lesser one ('badik' is used by buttin on the forum's sister Reference Site ) the 'badek' i was sold by a malaysian dealer was spelled 'badek' in his ads for it. (not this one tho)
A very good point on the naming, how we see it written is often westernized. The other thing to remember is that there are a number of different peoples living close to each other each with thier own dialects in this part of the world. The name for the same blade would be differerent in Gayo than Alas, still different in Sumatran. Batak etc. this particular one is listed as Badek, Bade, Badee, Badi, Badi Badi, Badik, Badik Badik and Badit in "Traditional Weapons of the Indonesian Archipeligo.

Last edited by RhysMichael; 24th April 2008 at 08:34 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote