View Single Post
Old 4th March 2012, 04:05 PM   #259
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devadatta
Salaams Ibrahiim, thank you for ansewr.

So as far as I understand you, long straight saif was made only for dancing and never was a weapon, neither battle one nor what we can call presentation (like European court swords, small-swords, officer dress-daggers and so on which can't be counted as actual weapons due to light construction but underline the high status of their owners)

But I see one more picture of modern days - I guess it's H.M. Sultan Qaboos himself, and as I can see he is wearing a straight saif. So I just wanted to ask could there be a possibility of using straight saifs as a kind of presentation weapon, or their role is only for dancing and nothing more? Thank you in advance!

Salaams Devadatta ~ Yes thats the ruler holding a sword with gold trim in what appears to be either straight or curved variety though I cant tell since its cut off half way bet I suspect it is curved. None the less in the case of the ruler he can wear what he pleases The straight Sayf is "Dancer Only" not for fighting though often given as a present... Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote