View Single Post
Old 4th May 2022, 03:41 PM   #3
Interested Party

Interesting. The Figure in the third picture is holding arrows/darts. It is a bit androgynous. The hair is different than all the other women's', but 5th picture down seems to hint at a vagina. Usually, Venus is curvier, less adolescent. It could also be Cupid. The figures on either side of the pedestal have an almost skeletal appearance. This makes me wonder if it is possibly Saint Sabastian? Who is the crouching bearded figure below them? Is it a figure in the underworld or could it Atlas if the handle is classically inclined.

The Musician's panel is also interesting and problematic. It has a seated woman with a possible musical instrument and a lion behind her. below her is a more or less coat of arms. That in some ways resembles the Archduchy of Austria. Above are dancers, if this is musical?

Not to mention the crouching eagle for a pommel.

What did you use to date this to the 1400s? Sorry for a response full of "I don't knows".

I know it is not the focus of your post, but I would like to see the whole piece.

Thanks for an interesting post, hopefully someone out there will have the answers.
IP
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote