View Single Post
Old 10th March 2007, 01:42 PM   #25
katana

Hi Jim,
excellent infomation (as usual )
It backs up what I have previously read about the British regulation pattern swords of the 19c. Complacency amongst the ranks, with regards sword care seemed common, as the reliance on firearms came to the fore. This complacency must have been created within the higher ranking officers whom should have enforced orders to ensure swords were 'fit for battle',..but didn't.
It was unfortunate that the effects of this poor maintenance was not acted upon. As the accounts you state, and Richard's references to 'Sahib' have shown, that the sword still had a useful function in warfare during that period.
It seems strange to me that officer scabbards were wood (a cheaper, more easily worked material) and the 'others' metal ( a more expensive solution...although more robust ) Personally, (obviously) wood would be my preference.
I also think that an 'oiled' blade may have a slightly enhanced cutting performance over a similar 'un-oiled' blade......at least while the lubricated blade surface remained (cuts through clothing, for instance, would wipe this coating off.)
katana is offline   Reply With Quote