View Single Post
Old 27th February 2007, 03:05 PM   #18
Pukka Bundook

Jens,
Thank you for the explanation, re. what was inherited with these swords,
ie, Not only the weapon, but Also its history and Spirit.
This little statement has given me a Much better understanding of "how it was"
I feel so often, we can limit our understanding of an object by reducing it to a matter of bare bones, (ie, wood, metal or whatever) and limit our study to these 'bare bones', when really, the 'object' of our obsevation can be the key to passage into an incredibly rich "other world" that we may otherwise have never had opportunity to enter!.............. A place where real history can be fleshed out...
Thank you again!!
I must look for a copy of Elgood's book.

Jim,
Thank you for your input!
Re, British sword quality, I believe you are right about the slow decline in usefulness.
At Multan, in 1848, John Kennedy, in a letter home states; "Markham broke his sword in a Sikhs body,and then floored him with his fists....many officers and men were engaged in this way, and the number of blades broken testifies to the mediocrity of our sword cutlery. I could fill my paper twice over with minor events of this kind". (Sahib, p386)
It appears even prior to this, the Tulwar had certain appeal.
In this book It states Arthur Wellesley usually carried a plain but well proportioned Indian sword..(361)
Also states most of the problem with the British blades, was blunting through drill with metal scabbards....as you previously mentioned.

Spiral,
I must agree, Most Sikh gentlemen I have met are fine chaps! not small by any standards........with hands to match!

Chris,
An enchanting little memo from the same book, re. slicing rather than thrusting.
( paraphraed!)
In the action at Ramnagar, a certain Sgt Clifton and comrades ,14th light dragoons, was ordered to advance whilst resing in a field eating turnips.
The sgt. slipped a turnip into his shako for later consumption.
In the following action his horse was shot under him, he was surrounded and the top of his shako cut to shreds and his turnip to slices without touching his head!
Seems he escaped with a few light scratches to his shoulders....
I can just imagine his little sliced turnip, still sitting neatly on his head!....

All the best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote