View Single Post
Old 31st July 2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually, I personally do not think this is a takouba, although it does have 'one' takouba like feature....an elongated rectangular crossguard, which does not suggest this is a takouba variant. It does suggest influence, which is one of the most fascinating, though sometimes almost maddening, features in many African weapons. While we often try to categorize these weapons into distinct typology or regional attrubution, it is of course speculation unless having well documented provenance.

While takoubas and kaskaras were in effect 'cousins' as far as being broadswords, as I have often noted, I think they are quite different in most cases....the takouba blades are typically lighter with rounded tip...the kaskara heavier with more of a spear point. I do not believe the takouba developed from the kaskara, nor vice versa, however, they do share common 'influences' that become noticeable in certain instances and examples.

The blade on this sword is produced entirely different from those of the takouba and kaskara, and the raised geometric designs at forte and blade tip are not seen on any takouba or kaskara blades I have ever seen. The integrally forged interpretation of a takouba like crossguard is different, and something I have not seen on takoubas personally. The flat disc pommel and wrapped leather grip does resemble work I have seen on some Mahdist period kaskaras..but then this type wrapping is known in Cameroon, and probably Chad as well.

Here I would emphasize trade routes that traversed these regions across the Sahara from times immemorial, and were well established and travelled.To imagine that weapons that travelled along these routes did not influence individuals including artisans in these areas is hardly thinkable. It is known that along with migratory or nomadic movements of tribes, those who were craftsmen and blacksmiths moved as well. The hybridization of weapons and all manner of culture were of course products of these influences.

The gold metal inlay which seems strategically placed within the also strategically raised geometric ellipse, seems to represent some type of symbolism or auspicious meaning. Since it is a singular spot placed in a key location, we can probably reason that it is more likely that than some randomly placed motif. What was meant in mentioning the Yemeni practice was simply a comparitive note, and use of such inlays are known in other cases of course......since there was profound Islamic presence throughout these regions, naturally it seemed feasible that this tradition or symbolism might be transcribed to a blade, even in Zaire.

The influences of Islam were thoroughly emplaced through the Sahara and Sahel, and even reached further into Central Africa. The key trade centers, especially Timbuktu in Mali, were also religious and cultural centers, and through them influences from points across Africa were carried constantly.

The possibility of the reason for the inlaid dot is of course unknown, but to discount the suggestion of other influence seems unfortunate, and since it is so obviously deliberately placed, it begs the question, then why is it there?

We know that copper dots are often seen in groupings, as in the jians of China with seven stars, they have been seen in India often in three dots, the mandau or parang ihlang of Borneo has numerous holes along the blade to be filled with gold metal. .....but admittedly these are placed for different reasons and none singly. We know that the early European smiths, the Franks, often used gold or copper inlay in thier blades in single marks, often a cross. These 'influences' are all too far removed for plausible consideration in this case, but what remains is the act of inlaying gold metal into a blade.

We have discussed through the years the very prevalent superstitions and beliefs associated with particular metals throughout the North African regions, and particularly iron or steel.......many Tuareg swords are of course covered in leather or brass, ostensibly to deter the effects of the metal in the sword on the owner. Perhaps such application, even with a single emphasized dot of the metal could have such a purpose?

It really is hard to say, but I do know I enjoy it very much when individuals here are willing to share thier thoughts and ideas, regardless of in disagreement or support. I see a question, look wherever I can to find what I can, and then write what I perceive from the information. When others do the same it is how we all learn, on these pages, and together.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote