View Single Post
Old 31st July 2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

At first sight, what is most compelling visually is the distinct takouba like guard, but most puzzling, the fact that it is integrally forged. The mention of the dull gray characteristic of the steel I am wondering if that would be due to high zinc content?

I agree with the observations by ISPN and Martin, this sword has many features associated with tribal weapons from Zaire, and the elliptical features incorporated with the central raised rib in the blade resemble elements that appear in Ngombe weapons from Zaire (Beaute Fatale, p.77). The linear rocker style work that profiles the blade, resembles blade decoration features from Cameroon, as does the wrapped leatherwork, althought obviously the typical arched pommel is not present.

As often the case, a pastiche of influences from these regions in what may have been a court type weapon, probably from Zaire, and likely of latter 19th century. It would not be unreasonable to consider that the takouba was seen in certain degree in Zaire in the 19th century and later, and local artisans would have been influenced by the crossguard feature.

The interesting copper or gold metal filled dot situated in the symbolic ellipse near the blade point seems to perhaps derive from a gold or yellow copper nail hammered into higher quality Yemeni swords from ancient times. As with many, if not most African weapon forms, there is often deep traditional symbolism brought into them. The Arab influences that came into these areas along with the advent of Islam certainly accounts for many of these features, and it would be interesting to learn about this one, which I believe was mentioned in al-Kindi.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote