View Single Post
Old 26th February 2017, 11:09 PM   #44
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
The ethnicity of the actual craftsmen is unknown, and we can speculate but we may never know exactly where and by whom these swords were actually made.
Burma Ian. It has long been recorded and written about, this type of silver work found on the scabbard of the first sword in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
And we have this from Dan Wilke who found the sword and purchased it for Mark (see post #6 of this thread)--the emphasis is mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
It gets better looking every time I see it. I have yet to see it's equal in a story dha. What I'm sure Mark is too humble to tell you is that a professor in Chiang Mai had specifically requested this sword from the dealer to use in an upcoming book he will publish on the swords of the North. He at least thought it was historically significant.

This is the fourth time I've seen a similiar face on the pommel of a asian sword. Two were on the pommel caps of japanese style thai swords of high ranking individuals and another on a dha. Anybody have any ideas where it comes from?
Ian.
13 years and eagerly awaiting the book and or the good professors word on the sword. Does anyone know who he is?

Does anyone have a copy they can share if it has indeed been printed?

I still stand by the point that the hilt entire has been made at a much later date as has the added panel referencing 1798, a panel which replaced this coat of arms below.

Gavin
Attached Images

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 27th February 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote