Thread: Former Bayonet
View Single Post
Old 15th March 2018, 12:56 PM   #21
Chris Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Hi All,

Thanks to all for the lively debate and the additional information.
Chris, the tang is completely hidden by very fine basketweave. The striations on the metal oval are straight and were probably made by a file. The metal oval appears to be made of heavily patinated brass. It isn't magnetic. I don't agree with your suspicions about authenticity for three reasons. One: All the work on the hilt and sheath are too finely and carefully done for a piece intended for monetary gain. The workmanship clearly shows that the crafting was done either by or for a person who had a high regard for the blade. Two: if an individual had dressed an old blade specifically for profitable sale as a Gaucho facon, wouldn't have been more marketable and less time consuming to use the more typical and expected metal fittings? Three: I got this piece from a dealer who had obtained part of an old collection and I didn't pay more than the cost of dinner for two at a mid price restaurant.
Fernando K, I agree with your belief that the hilt and sheath work was probably done in the early 20th century but I wouldn't rule out something like 1890. The condition of the materials is too good for any earlier date. However, since the bayonet model was originally made in Germany in 1871, the current mounts may not be the first civilian hilt and sheath the blade has seen.

Sincerely,
RobT
We still have to somehow account for a) the excellent state of the blade, and b) who would have had a need for such a large knife by that time.

I agree entirely with Fernando that this knife was made in the 20th century.

Most of the large facons of the later times were ostentatious status symbols and as such fitted with ornate silver furnishings. But yours appears to be more of a working knife - A movie prop perhaps? Just speculating...

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote