View Single Post
Old 27th December 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Neo

Default What is the relationship between a keris and its hilt in the ancient culture?

Hi Guys,

I have been curious with early keris hilts that take the shape of dvarapalas and other person-like figures. Chinese record indicates that the early kerises are mostly dressed in "demon-shaped hilts", right? Karsten Jensen's e-book seems to confirm this.

What is the original intention of such designs? I just read the previous thread in which Mr. Maisey explained that such kerises with fearsome looking hilts meant protection. It makes sense as in most of Asia, ferocious images are frequently used to repel evil spirits. However, I am particularly interested in the cultural reasoning that explains the relationship between a keris and its hilt. What does the ancient hilt design have to do with the "personality" of a keris? Can we say it is one of the following?

1. The keris hilt indicates the type of spirit that dwells in the blade. So the hilt is pretty much the "representative portrait" of the spirit of the blade. Interesting possibility, but IMHO it doesn't nicely explain the case of Bali keris hilts with deity shapes like Wishnu and Ganesha - it's hard to imagine that the ancient culture believes that the actual deity resides in a single blade. (I assume that the Balinese school of thought does not deviate significantly from the Majapahit's.)

2. The keris hilt is just an expression of the wish of how the power of the keris is to be governed. So a keris with raksasha or Vishnu hilt does not necessarily mean that the said personalities are expected to reside in the blade. Instead, the hilt just expresses the wish of that the spirit of the keris will follow a set of conducts or behavior encouraged by the personality manifested in the hilt.

Or perhaps there is another theory or explanation out there? Even if we do not have hard data on the subject, I would really appreciate personal opinions from my senior colleagues in this forum (I have only been collecting keris for less than two years)
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote