Thread: Gunong
View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:03 AM   #35
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Jose and thank you for your kind words about my work. I have to antique the brass and copper fittings yet but other than that I think the work on the knife itself is done as I do not plan on etching the blade. Now, on to the scabbard and making the missing fittings.

Kino, I use a 20% solution of clorox bleach and distilled water. I clean the wood of any wax and then clamp it together just like it was being glued and then apply the solution with a small paint brush to the stained areas. It is then placed in bright sunlight for a few hours. More solution is applied until the desired effect is achieved. I rinse off the piece and then place it into a container of distilled water to finish neutralizing the bleach. I always soak the wood I am working with overnight, dry off any excess water and then glue and clamp the pieces together and leave for a minimum of 72 hours before removing the clamp or clamps. I have always use distilled water when working with wood as that is the way I was taught many years ago. I hope that this information will be of some help to you or anyone else that runs into a situation that requires stain removal.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote