View Single Post
Old 9th April 2005, 03:26 PM   #9
tom hyle

that's a point, Tim, as far as the art of fance goes, though not 100% I must say, and in two aspects (let's see if I can remember the second by the time I've said the first ): one is that rural tribes with no ruling class, etc. as well as the poor within stratified tribes, often adorn themselves and each other and their goods very lavishly; two is that "the concepts of acheivement and artistic merit depending on the wealth and education and predjudice of a questionable elite" (wow; I LIKE that!!) is, as Tim seems to hint at awareness of (?) is not the only standard or perspective of art, or even of craftsmanship.
As far as the art of design and construction go, of course there are expenses, but they are nowhere near the factor they are in the art of fance. Much high quality work is and has been produced relatively cheaply by traditional people for their own use.

Last edited by tom hyle; 10th April 2005 at 05:43 AM. Reason: we're not discussing groundbreaking, but preservation; then adding Tim's name for clarity, due to Mark posting while I was posting
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote