View Single Post
Old 19th March 2024, 03:17 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Thank you all for your instructive and educational insights. The blade does seem so entirely utilitarian, so perhaps this carved dress was added to a tool blade for sale to the traveler? I should add that in the same lot there was what appeared to be a large Balinese keris with a carved wooden hilt in very much the same style, wood and finish, but different from all of those in my personal experience. That keris had a simple, high contrast pamor blade that did not scream of antiquity to me.
Yes, this blade is very utilitarian, but i am not convinced it is necessarily dressed for sale to tourists. I don't know why it did not immediately come to mind, but this blade is a very similar profile and the dress form is not all that different from an old Balinese Golok that i have, that was owned by a Brahamin and intented for preparation of ceremonial offerings. Note the similar blade profile and figural hilt with the same orientation. My example is, of course, much older, and it is huge (Blade 11.75 inches, width 3.25 inches, overall length 20 inches and weighing in an 2lbs.), but i would image such blades were produced in different sizes for the preparation of different types of offerings.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote