View Single Post
Old 20th December 2018, 09:42 AM   #36
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I have never met any person who is regarded as an expert in the culture of the keris who was prepared to designate any particular keris style as being unique to any particular part of Sumatera.

What I was taught, and what my own experience has verified, is that the lack of consistency in keris which supposedly originate from Sumatera, and especially from Palembang, makes it impossible to support a tangguh classification of Palembang, or of any other place in Sumatera, based upon indicators that have more or less definite parameters.
Hello Alan,
I agree that the tangguh system is completely irrelevant for the krisses originating from elsewhere than Java and arguably Madura and Bali.
IMO there are some Sumatra kris blades which are specific to some regions such as the short 3 waves krisses from Minangkabau, and the bahari and panjang krisses from Riau. However the bahari and panjang blades are also fitted with other types of scabbards, especially Minang.
I agree that the kris blades from Palembang exist under various types but the style shown in posts # 21, 23, 24, and 30 seems to be very consistent and probably specific to Palembang or South Sumatra IMO.
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 20th December 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote