View Single Post
Old 10th January 2019, 02:33 PM   #16
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
Noted on this, sir. One of my BangsaMoro friends- a former member of this forum, and I believe the foremost expert on PH traditional blades- has expressed doubts regarding the accuracy of Cato's information. The Moros would not readily give up information on their culture or weaponry; in effect, Mr Cato may very well have been told tall tales. I agree some panabas were built for transport, but not as battlefield weapons; rather, as intimidation tools, a sign of potency of a ranking Moro chieftain that would be transported and displayed along with his retinue of best warriors. My evidence for this are the junggayan-style barungs- yes, they were sharp and had functional scabbards, but they aren't the go-to weapons during battle; they served better as status indicator and intimidation tool. Same goes for other BangsaMoro weapons with elaborate designs- the reason for their preservation was that they were never really in the fray.
Wow, could not agree more. I have often said Cato, while currently the best out there, should be taken with a grain of salt. I own many Moro weapons, the ones that are Datu class I would never think of using in a battle. While the blades are of top quality the balance is all wrong. I have weapons that I would classify as fighters. No frills, no fancy handles, just solid well balanced tools. When compared to the higher class blades, there is not comparison. To bring this back to the Panabas. My thoughts are they may have been used in battle. Better than nothing, but I would not want to be swinging a Panabas against a spear or sword. Just too slow. It would be an excellent mop up weapon or status symbol. I am in full agreement with xasterix on this.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote