Thread: Unidentified
View Single Post
Old 12th September 2018, 12:45 PM   #9
CutlassCollector

Mark, Bob, BV and Jim, thanks for the comments - all good suggestions, which certainly move it away from the naval theory.

At 30" it is probably slightly too short for a walking stick axe. Climbing axe another option with the rounded part forming a grip and being able to take a rope but this is discounted as Bob says - the blade is wrong for cutting ice steps or stopping a slide.

Fire axe is always a possiblity but this is a light axe. While hatchets are light - the two handed larger fire axes are usually heavy beasts for battering down doors etc - although that does not rule it out.
BV - that is an interesting thought, maybe it was designed to fit or operate something. Fire hydrant valve possibly.

Or, in current weather situation, hammer it into the ground and tie a rope around the house to stop it blowing away.
Back in my sea faring days I was on an old tanker which had not the most reliable of machinery - broke down in the middle of the night in a typhoon, blacked out no power. Interesting few hours and ones I would not care to repeat.

So I'm with Jim - stay safe.
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote