View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:29 AM   #233
David R

Smile Latest aquisitions and an update on an older.

Went to a local arms fair on Sunday, varied lots as always, and came away with these.
The curved knife is a puzzler, a sort of mini Kindjal. It is a tourist piece it is much better than the run of the mill item. My guess it has no great age, but made for wear with national costume, for dance or festival, or even for a child. The grip scales are horn, inlaid with dots of a pink material, and the grey rivit heads of base metal. The blade a good bright steel. The scabbard is neatly made, wood core, covered with leather and blackened metal.
Comments welcomed, actually comments invited please, I would like peeps opinion on both of these.
The update is on the kote, I took them into the R.A. where they were seen by Ian Bottomly. They are full kote for an "ashigaru" peasant spearman, cheap munition armour. The long plate at the right is the shoulder plate, small plates and mail on the upper arm, mail over the elbow, and long plates over the fore arm, no handguard as that is a samurai feature. Probably early Edo therefore, and Ian thinks they could even be 16thC.
Attached Images

Last edited by David R; 23rd May 2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: More info.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote