View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:35 PM   #1
gp

Default to restore or not to restore...

Being the new kid on the block and hence not familiar with the criteria collectors and the rules of selling, read determination of value, I am rather amazed and sometimes shocked (hope this doesn't get me a ban... ) to read about the ease of restoring weapons in some threads.

I am not talking about the exception to the rule, i.e. the excellent tremendous job Jose did on the "wrecked" yataghan ( which was pure ART and a top master piece, acknowledged already by folks I know in the former Yugoslavia ) but talking about minor damaged pieces.

Where I come from / my background and expertise (numismatic world, maps, seals and books) it is looked upon as sacrilage and one gets chased out of the village after being dressed in tar and feathers accompanied by a thorough beating with the cat o'nine tails! ☺
Unless.... the repair and or restoration is clearly visible and hence distinguishable between original and new...

Next to the fact that the object loses aprox 50-75% of its value or is being downgraded 2 scales.

How is this actually with cold weapons ?

Last edited by gp; 23rd January 2021 at 06:58 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote