View Single Post
Old 7th January 2021, 02:55 AM   #25
ariel

I might have added Persia, but reconsidered.
The only Persian feature here is the blade ( likely). It might have been forged in India, Afghanistan or locally, in Sindh. Itinerant bladesmiths were dime a dozen in that part of the world. Also, in the 19 century Persian blades were exported in thousands all over Eurasia: Caucasus, Aravia, Ottoman Empire, Afghanistan, India, Russian Empire..
IMHO, the national character of the sword is determined by its furniture. An Indian sword with Persian blade is a “ Tulwar with Persian blade”. Similarly, a Shashka with Persian, German, Russian or Polish blade is still Caucasian and a saber with a bulbous pommel is still an Ottoman Kilij despite a Mamluke blade. I have a couple of Tulwars with British blades, a Moroccan Nimcha with ( what was suggested here) Indian blade, and another one with a likely German trade blade destined for South America, and Ethiopian Gurades with German and Russian blades.
As you can see, I am an adherent of the Polish school of attribution:-)

This saber comes from a part of India, has a typical Sindhi handle, but has Omani feature of silver wire by the crossguard. It has an Arabian baldric instead of Persian suspension rings. Would you invoke Persian connection if the blade had Indian ricasso?
That was my thought.
I am not wedded to it. Would love to discuss and change my opinion.

Last edited by ariel; 7th January 2021 at 03:20 AM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote