View Single Post
Old 30th December 2020, 07:46 PM   #25
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I had to teach myself how to do Turkish silver filigree (which is not on Youtube nor is anyone teaching it ). It was a lot of trial and error (more error) and I had to create my own techniques.

Respect and a deep bow to you for your filigree work, especially as it was autodidact /self-taught

Filigree, an art found mostly by seafaring nations; the Dutch coast (Sealand), Portugal and moreover mostly the Mediterranean.
Especially in their traditional ( female and wedding) jewelry of which I am a SME ever since I met the gold and silversmiths when I lived in Morocco 1980/81 and later in the former Yugoslavia 1985/87.
Hence also their decoration of arms ( cold arms and later guns; pistols and rifles) show these magnificent pieces of art..
An art which sadly has been replaced more and more by machine made items based upon costs reductions and taste ( fashion changes) during the last decades.

Nevertheless some good news for you: there still are some "majstor" (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian for master ; originating from the ancient system of apprentice journeyman master) in Bosnia and Dalmatia (Southern Croatia) who still master the art and are able to assist and advise you.

In Sarajevo: I can advice you to look for them in the old town center called Baščaršija and in and around the Ferhadija street. Be sure to check you are dealing with a Bosnian master and not some trader....

In Dubrovnik you also can find them in the old town between the city walls (used to film GOT) in the Stradun ( mainstreet)

If they hear what you did with this yataghan and show them your pics, I am sure you will get all the support & info you need, even more for future endeavours and projects ....Good luck !
or send me a PM and I am more than happy to oblige

Last edited by gp; 30th December 2020 at 09:28 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote