View Single Post
Old 28th December 2020, 10:45 AM   #21
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefidk
Hi Jim
Thanks for the confirmation and the information posted before. I'm interested in the numbers - are the German blades you've seen matching this form of messy numbering on the ricasso?
The process of making them must be interesting. They are not machine created but appear to be raised out of an uneven depression in the blade. Perhaps deeply acid etched like the fuller decoration, but not neatly done. I don't see an easy way to make it by stamps in this form, but could be possible I guess.
I also wonder what they represent, batch numbers maybe. But it's really odd when you think of the way that blades and gun parts were usually marked at that time post manufacture, and why so visible and variable in placing.

Btw I have another kaskara with the Amharic etched in the center fuller very like the examples you posted. Again, this has a lower quality local made guard and rather plain scabbard, with a Hadendoa tassle.

For both these swords I'd attributed it to individual blades moving west, but now seeing Marc's example it suggests that these blades could have been more than a one-off chance. Perhaps more organised late 19thC/early 20thC trade with Ethiopia for suitable blades, hence the poor quality local made fittings and not the better type usually seen on older kaskara. But you raise the idea that these were Ethiopian made if I understand your correctly.
Hi Chris
I think the numbers are stamped in when the blade was red hot, if you look close you see a double print of the numbers. Problably the first blow was oneven or not deep enough so a second blow was made.
Greetings
Marc
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote