Thread: Omani kattara
View Single Post
Old 13th October 2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Fullering aids stiffness Ibrahim... not flex!

Its a way to reduce weight while maintaining maximum strength & stiffness.

Which is rather at odds with you theory that these are ceremonial toys not weapons.

spiral

So you theorise that because they have fullers they must be fighting swords.. That is very interesting. I will forward this information to the National Museum. In reducing weight the flexibility can be better exercised in dancing and march past since the blades are lighter no?...the wrist flic easier done and the sword easier to dance with. Surely in the case of the dancing sayf the thinner the blade the more capable its flexibility. The blades are certainly not stiff... on Omani Sayfs. Without wishing to get into a wrangle on the dancer... since that could be misconstrued as argumentative... and since research is ongoing in this field across a whole spectrum of new discoveries which I am not at liberty to discuss... I will let that one simply float by... for now.

Regarding the strange squigles to the throat area I recall a very interesting group of talismanic marks and another from the gun mark on an algerian weapon ... They look similar. I believe that was an incantation in shortened Arabic form in the general range of the God is Great style..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.