Thread: Firangi Sword
View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I must admit I cannot recall having seen these type fixtures attached to a khanda/firangi hilt, but Stu's observation seems quite well placed. There was indeed long standing trade between India and Arabia.

I noticed in Elgood ("Arabian Arms & Armour", p.76, 9.13) a janbiyya with two ornamental fixtures attached by chains on the sheath. This example was apparantly from the Hijaz and stated probably from Mecca, with the two containers used to hold cotton dipped in attar or ambergris. It is interesting that these fragrance components were key trade items between India and Arabia. I thought perhaps that these silver elements added to the firangi hilt might be alluding to the connection to Mecca, possibly to someone having made the pilgramage.

Another possibility may have some association to the Mahrattas, who were of course primary users of these swords. In Elgood's "Hindu Arms and Ritual" (p.255), it is noted that Mahrattas often used a 'horse bangle' tied to one leg of thier horse before battle proclaiming they would conquer or die. It is believed that silver was obnoxious to evil spirits. Perhaps these silver bulbs may have been intended talismanically in this sense.

Indian swords seem often to have auspiciously intended attachments so in any case there may be a number of possibilities, with these stated presenting both Muslim and Hindu aspects. It is my personal opinion that decoration or motif on most Indian edged weapons is seldom simply aesthetic , and typically has distinct symbolic purpose.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote